Research and Reading
William and Mary P2PSIP Project (the SOSIMPLE Project)
- Challenges of DHT Design for a Public Communications System (pdf), David A. Bryan, Marcia Zangrilli, Bruce B. Lowekamp, June 2006.
- Providing Secure Services in Peer-to-Peer Communications Networks with Central Security Servers (pdf), International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services (ICIW) , Feng Cao, David A. Bryan and Bruce B. Lowekamp, February 2006.
- Peer-to-Peer SIP (PowerPoint), Invited Talk at Cisco Systems, San Jose, CA, David A. Bryan, July 2005.
- SOSIMPLE: A Serverless, Standards-based, P2P SIP Communication System (pdf), International Workshop on Advanced Architectures and Algorithms for Internet Delivery and Applications (AAA-IDEA), David A. Bryan, Bruce B. Lowekamp and Cullen Jennings, June 2005; and the accompanying presentation (PowerPoint)
- SOSIMPLE: A SIP/SIMPLE Based P2P VoIP and IM System (pdf) David A. Bryan and Bruce B. Lowekamp.
- Early Work: SOSIMPLE P2P Instant Messaging and Communication (PowerPoint), David A. Bryan, 25 November 2003; and SOSIMPLE - Self Organizing SIMPLE Proposed P2P Instant Messaging System (pdf), David A. Bryan, December 2003.
Columbia University P2PSIP Project
- Project Webpage
- Peer-to-Peer Internet Telephony using SIP (pdf), Columbia University Technical Report CUCS-044-04, Kundan Singh and Henning Schulzrinne, October 2004.
- An Analysis of the Skype Peer-to-Peer Internet Telephony Protocol (pdf), Salman A. Baset and Henning Schulzrinne, 15 September 2004. A shorter version of this paper also appeared in IEEE Infocom 2006 (pdf).
University of Hamburg P2PSIP Research
- VOIP Security Research Webpage
- Using Cryptographically Generated SIP-URIs to Protect the Integrity of Content in P2P-SIP (pdf), VSW'06, Jan Seedorf, June 2006.
Trade Publication Articles on P2PSIP
- Peer-to-Peer VoIP : Will it Ever Work (MacroMedia), New Telephony Magazine, Charlotte Wolfer, 24 May 2005.
- SIP Goes Peer-to-Peer, Network Magazine (now IT Architect), David Greenfield, 1 May 2005.
- Addressing Survivability and Scalability of SIP Networks by Using Peer-to-Peer Protocols, Adrian Georgescu, 5 September 2005.
- Earthlink SIPshare
Other P2P Communications
- Skype Security Evaluation (pdf), Tom Berson, 18 October 2005. (disclaimer: commissioned by Skype)
- An Experimental Study of the Skype Peer-to-Peer VoIP System (pdf), Saikat Guha, Neil Daswani and Ravi Jain, 2005. Provides some interesting stats on Skype's P2P Network.
- Peer-to-Peer Communications Across Network Address Translators, Bryan Ford, Pyda Srisuresh and Dan Kegel.
- The NAT Check Page. Has a number of links to NAT information
P2PSIP and IMS
- Interworking between P2PSIP Overlays and IMS Networks – Scenarios and Technical Solutions, Enrico Marocco, Antonio Manzalini, Marcello Sampo and Gianni Canal.
- NY Polytechnic & Columbia University tutorial on P2P (pdf)
- A paper discussing hierarchical peer-to-peer systems (pdf)
- Information on various P2P projects including OpenDHT, Bamboo, OceanStore, IRIS, and PIER
- The original Chord Papers, from MIT. There are two papers with the same name, Chord: A Scalable Peer-to-peer Lookup Protocol for Internet Applications. The first appeared in The ACM SIGCOMM 2001 Proceedings (pdf), but there have been reports that the algorithms presented in the paper have errors. A later journal paper appeared in the Feb 2003 IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (pdf) and appear to have improved versions of the algorithms.
- An in class presentation (PowerPoint) and the accompanying paper (pdf) from Christine Kiefer, a student at the CS Department of Saarland University. Nice, readable overview of Chord from a third party.
- An overview of BitTorrent from the bittorrent.com site (pdf)
- An easy read in Wired Magazine about The BitTorrent Effect
- A tutorial on how to measure complexity of algorithms (pdf). Useful when reading the P2P papers if you aren't familiar with that concept.